The Vilas County Mapping Department accepts custom project and service requests from the public, which are completed on a first-come first-serve basis. Time to complete these requests varies depending on workload and availability; we request that you allow for a two-week turnaround for most standard project requests. Payment must be received in advance, and all checks should be made out to "Vilas County". Please see our fee schedule for pricing.
In order to generate an owner listing from the "Owner Listings" mapping application, use one of the tools at the bottom of the screen. Once the tool has been executed, click the down-arrow cloud icon to download a "CSV" file which can be brought into a spreadsheet program. The best practice for using this file is to import the CSV into a new text-formatted spreadsheet rather than opening the CSV directly. If the CSV is opened directly there is a chance that the spreadsheet program will interpret the computer numbers as dates and convert their format, thus making them unusable as computer numbers.
Online Mapping Website Issues
If you are experiencing problems with the Vilas County Online Mapping website or any of the maps or applications, please try these most common solutions:
Use a current internet browser.
Modern browsers like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox will generally update automatically, thus insuring compliance with current internet standards and security measures. Less advanced browsers like Microsoft Internet Explorer will load pages and maps without issue, however, those using outdated versions of Internet Explorer, like that installed on Windows XP, may have issues loading the Online Mapping site properly. Please contact your IT professional for assistance in this matter.
Clear your internet browser's cached/temporary files and cookies.
If an update has been made to the website and your browser does not get a fresh copy of the page, the various sites may not function as expected. See the section below or contact your IT professional for assistance in this matter.
Install necessary plugins and allow full functionality.
Clear Cache/Temporary Files
- Chrome - Click the menu button (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner of the browser, and in "History and Recent Tabs", click "History". In the window that comes up, click the "Clear browsing data..." button, then choose to obliterate the following items from "the beginning of time", and check the "Cookies and other site and plugin data" and "Cached images and files" boxes. Click the "clear browsing data" button and close this settings tab. Reload the mapping page you were having problems with.
- Firefox - Click the menu button (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner of the browser, then click the "History" button. Choose "Clear Recent History", then choose "Everything" for the time range to clear. Check the boxes for "Cookies" and "Cache" and then click the "Clear Now" button. Reload the mapping page you were having problems with.
- Internet Explorer - Click the gear button in the upper right corner of the browser, then under "Safety", click "Delete Browsing History...". Check the boxes for "Temporary Internet files and website files" and "Cookies and website data", then click the "Delete" button. Reload the mapping page you were having problems with.
- Safari - Click "Safari" on the toolbar in the upper left, then click "Clear History and Website Data...". Choose to clear "all history" and then click the "Clear History" button. Reload the mapping page you were having problems with.
Land RecordsArthur H. Robinson Map Library | NGS Data Sheets | Online Name Opt-Out Info | Original Public Land Survey Records | Property Tax Info | State Cartographer's Office | Vilas County LandShark | WI Society of Land Surveyors
Planning and ZoningCounty Zoning Department | FEMA Flood Map Service Center | NRCS Web Soil Survey
RecreationCounty Tourism Department | County Forstry and Recreation Department | DNR Lakes | Forest Tax Law Lands Open to Public Recreation (DNR)
VotingCounty Clerk's Office | County Election Information
GIS DataSCO GIS Data | US Census Bureau TIGER Data | USGS National Map Data Download and Visualization | Wisconsin DNR GIS Data
ImagerySCO Imagery Data | WI Historic Aerial Image Finder | WisconsinView Data Portal
Mapping in the News
- Vilas County Paddling Brochure Wins Two Awards (March, 2019)
- Marathon County Readdressing Special Report (WSAW, Nov 2015)
- Vilas County LiDAR Data Arrival (WJFW, April 2014)
- Vilas County Map Wins Poster Contest Award (Feb 2014)
- Vilas County Map Wins Two Poster Contest Awards (Jan/Feb 2013)
- Gibson Appointed to WLIA and LION Boards (March 2012)
- Tony Jones Joins Mapping Dept. (April 2012)
- Mapping Dept. Wins Awards at WLIA (February 2012)
- About the Land Information and Mapping Department (April 2010)
- 11/13/2017: Welcome to the updated Vilas County Online Mapping website! Functionality is largely the same as our previous website, with some interface and design modifications having been made to optimize the user's experience.
Due to security vulnerabilities, lack of mobile support and an overall outdated technological framework, V-MApp has been discontinued, as has been previously alluded to. Interactive mapping applications maintain much of the same functionality that was present in V-MApp, though in a slightly different interface. The user will find the new applications generally much faster, even when viewing the 2015 aerial imagery or 2-foot topographic basemaps. The Owner Listings map provides the user with tools for generating an owner listing based on a lake, or even a distance off a user-created line or polygon. Text searches can be performed without the need for selecting a search field, and layers can be turned on and off, made semi-transparent, or even re-ordered at will.
We hope you find this new Vilas County Online Mapping site easy to navigate from whichever device you are using. It is our goal to provide necessary land records information using a simple, up-to-date interface, while still allowing for advanced functionality. Please try out some of the new functionality this site has to offer. If after an initial acclimation period you still have questions or recommendations, please contact Adam Grassl at email@example.com or (715) 479-3790. Thank you for your cooperation during this transition.